Remember the frozen yogurt craze? Well, get ready for froyo 2.0. This thick and creamy frozen dessert is inspired by the blended yogurt drink called lassi, which originated in India, according to Britannica. Lassis can be savory or sweet, and this one is a bit of both.
Even better, it’s made with probiotic-rich Greek yogurt, which helps populate your gut with beneficial bacteria that have been shown to have a host of health benefits, from aiding digestion to helping the body make certain vitamins and amino acids, according to the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. A healthy dose of prebiotic fiber from the mangoes gives those bacteria a boost, too. A pear stands in for added sugar in this recipe, lending a delicious natural sweetness.
- 3 ripe mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1 ripe pear, peeled and roughly chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 pinch salt
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Place the mixture in an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer directions. Freeze until serving.
Nutrition info (per 1 cup): 179 calories, 35g carbohydrates, 29g total sugar, 0g added sugar, 4g fiber, 9g protein, 2g total fat, 1g saturated fat
RELATED: How to Eat More Probiotics Every Day