This on-trend avocado toast brings together a trio of creamy blueberry aioli, quick-pickled blueberries and blueberry dusted cashews on top of smashed avocado, lemon-zested goat cheese, sourdough toast, and smoked blueberry sea salt for the perfect all-day crowd pleaser.
Blueberry Avocado Toast
3 tablespoons lemon zest (about 5 lemons)
1 1/2 cups goat cheese, softened at room temperature
2 cups raw, unsalted cashews
1/4 cup canned blueberry juice
2 teaspoons freeze-dried blueberries, processed in spice blender until fine
3/4 tablespoon black peppercorns
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
2 tablespoons lemon juice
24 slices of sourdough toast
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 1/4 cups blueberry cashews
6 cups pickled blueberries
12 ounces blueberry aioli
3 teaspoons blueberry smoked salt
72 thin slices of red radish
Mash all ingredients in a large bowl. The mixture should contain large chunks of avocado but maintain a spreadable consistency. Hold and store in an airtight container with lime juice and plastic film over top to avoid oxidation. Prep at last minute when possible.
• Combine lemon zest and goat cheese in a stand mixer or food processor until fully combined.
• Store in a label and dated air-tight container in the refrigerator at 41°F or below.
• Preheat the oven to 325°F. Process cashews in a food processor or carefully chop with chef knife until pea-sized pieces. Do not over-process.
• Process cashews in a food processor or carefully chop with chef knife until pea-sized pieces. Do not over-process.
• Add the cashews and the rest of the ingredients onto a lined half sheet tray.
• Place the half sheet tray into the oven until the cashews are toasted and dried for about 20 minutes.
• Remove half sheet tray from the oven and cool completely.
• Place the cooled mixture into a container that is labeled and dated.
• Place fresh blueberries into a large container.
• Combine the remaining ingredients into a large saucepan over high heat and bring to a rapid boil. Once boiling, turn off heat.
• Strain the liquid over top of the large container with the blueberries using the large mesh strainer.
• Discard the remaining spices caught in the large mesh strainer.
• Cover the large container tightly. Label, date, and store the large container in the refrigerator for 24 hours to allow for pickling.
• Store chilled until ready for service. Drain blueberries from pickling liquid when using.
• Combine all ingredients on high-speed in blender and process until very smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
• Pour aioli into a labeled and dated squirt bottle until ready to use.
• Store chilled below 40°F.
• Process salt and blueberry powder in a spice grinder, pulsing just enough to incorporate. Do not over-process into a fine dust.
• Pour mixture into an airtight shaker for storage.
• Brush melted butter on both sides of the sourdough bread and toast each side for 4 minutes on the flattop, set on medium heat.
Remove toast from flat top and assemble toast in the following order
1 slice sourdough toast, 1/3 cup avocado smash, 2 tablespoons lemon goat cheese (spread over half of the toast), 1 1/2 tablespoons blueberry cashews, 1/4 cup pickled blueberries, and 1 tablespoon blueberry aioli (drizzled). Garnish with 1/8 teaspoon blueberry smoked salt and 3 slices of red radish.